We were rocking our head and handstands in teen yoga class today. There are so many reasons why, literally, turning your world upside down (especially in your teens!) is a good thing. Here are just a few…
1. Headstands stimulate and provide refreshed blood to the pituitary and hypothalamus glands. These are vital for our wellbeing and regulate hormones; especially important during adolescence when hormones can be out of whack!
2. Detoxifying the adrenal glands make us feel happy - so teens, the next time you feel blue, try standing on your head and see the difference.
3. Being upside down can be scary but you feel awesome once you’ve challenged yourself and faced your fears. A very empowering and confidence boosting experience, which you can use in other situations!
4. It is good to get a fresh perspective on things when you’re a teen. Being upside down allows you to see things in a different light.
5. The after feeling can make you want to laugh your socks off…and who doesn’t want a giggle at the end of a hard day? Being a teen can feel serious enough, right?!
I just had the most fun practising these with my teenage students! They even challenged me to do a headstand into a backbend! I would never normally do that but they showed me that we are all capable of pushing our boundaries, and for that, i’m eternally grateful to them!
Teen yoga classes are every Tuesday 4.30 - 5.30pm (in Tunbridge Wells).
Yoga Generates Huge Benefits for Children with Autism